Welcome!

Here I will attempt to keep a journal of things learned - or at least experienced - along the way on this journey called life.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Lent - continued...

It's been exactly a month since my last post - I suck at daily writing...

I am doing Lent, though.

Finished my book - Francis Chan's Forgotten God. Deep stuff. A lot like his other book - Crazy Love - which i highly recommend. I wanna have the guts to live radically for God. I've been asking for more stuff lately - not material stuff (for me anyways) - but more insight, discernment, leading by the Holy Spirit. And waiting expectantly... It's the listening part that I have a hard time with. I pray, and then I do - when I should just wait...

Still reading the daily Lent devotional on You Version. Very good. Thinking about starting another reading plan as soon as this is over...

Hitting the knees at least in the morning or at night. Today I got a major head rush when I stood up, though. Gotta watch that before eating. :)

Fasting: I kinda suck at this, too. Wait, not really... I've been sticking to the 'no meat on Fridays' deal - except one dinner, two weeks ago... and it was a judgement call - I was just dropping by someone's house, and they had the table all set, and invited me to stay - I felt like I should, and so accepted. Because of this quote & Matthew 6:16-18.

(of course that brings to mind - why am I writing this at all? Well, for one thing, no one really reads it...)

Here's the quote (it's from the website mentioned on the Ash Wednesday post).
Let humility be your guide. Resist the temptation to explain that you are fasting and so refuse. If you can politely refuse without hurting the person's feelings, then do so. But if someone has prepared something for you to bless you (a special desert at the end of a meal, cookies for a visit, or a big steak dinner right after you gave up meat), then perhaps the more humble response is to accept gratefully. After all, the point of Lent is not the elimination of a specific food, it is sacrifice. Sometimes the greater sacrifice is to give up the idea of a perfect day of fasting for the sake of another.
But it is also supposed to be more than just avoiding meat - it's supposed to be about eating less. And I am no good at that.
On the upside, I've been cooking a lot of vegetarian and gluten free meals. The better to take care of this temple with, my dear.

peace & love,

tc

No comments:

Post a Comment