Welcome!

Here I will attempt to keep a journal of things learned - or at least experienced - along the way on this journey called life.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Happy Hannukah!

I'm so excited for Hannukah tonight.  My good friend lent me a menorah, and I printed out the prayers from Wikipedia.  I love this.  I mean, after all, I do call myself a Christian - although I really don't like that term - as it means Christ-like - and I am not quite (by a long shot) that far along on my journey.  But following the teachings of Christianity without knowing and honoring the Jewish traditions and teachings, doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me.  It's an off-shoot of Judaism... or the next generation... or something. 
It's kinda like watching Joanie Loves Chachi without ever having seen Happy Days.  Or Maude without All in the Family... (is this a stretch?  i dunno, but i like it).
I'm learning stuff, too.  Tonight, we will say three prayers, then for the rest of the nights, only the first two:

Blessing for lighting the candles

ברוך אתה ה' א‑לוהינו מלך העולם, אשר קדשנו במצותיו וצונו להדליק נר (של) חנוכה.‏
Barukh ata Adonai Eloheinu melekh ha‑olam, asher kid'shanu b'mitzvotav v'tzivanu l'hadlik ner (shel) hanuka.
"Blessed are You, LORD, our God, King of the universe, Who has sanctified us with His commandments and commanded us to kindle the Hanukkah light[s]."

Blessing for the miracles of Hanukkah

ברוך אתה ה' א‑לוהינו מלך העולם, שעשה נסים לאבותינו בימים ההם בזמן הזה.‏
Barukh ata Adonai Eloheinu melekh ha‑olam, she‑asa nisim la‑avoteinu ba‑yamim ha‑heim ba‑z'man ha‑ze.
 "Blessed are You, LORD, our God, King of the universe, Who performed miracles for our ancestors in those days at this time..."

Sheheeyanu ("Who has kept us alive")

This blessing is said whenever something pleasant that has not happened for a while is encountered.
ברוך אתה ה' א‑לוהינו מלך העולם, שהחינו וקימנו והגענו לזמן הזה.‏
Barukh atah Adonai Eloheinu melekh ha‑olam, she‑hehiyanu v'kiy'manu v'higi'anu la‑z'man ha‑ze.
 "Blessed are You, LORD, our God, King of the universe, Who has kept us alive, sustained us, and enabled us to reach this season."

I love that Hebrew is written right to left.  Being left handed, this works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment